A Prophetic Writing Prompt from Caroline Cabrera
A Bicycle Year Writing Prompt in Two Parts
- You may not have a year, so pick a time in the near future (the end of the day, the end of the week) and imagine there is a prophecy that says the world will end at that moment.
- Imagine that you don’t exactly believe this prophecy but you aren’t willing to rule it out.
- Meditate on this as often as you can.
- Choose several points at which to sit down and write all that has happened to you; every event, thought, and feeling.
- Trim or expand those notes into something that feels essential.
- Seek out the part of yourself that you hold most dearly and hide most fiercely from the world.
- Name her.
- Maybe draw her or build a model of her. Consider eating the model.
- Write to her, obsessively. Be as nice and as mean to her as you can.
Set these two pieces side by side and marry them.
Latest posts by Real Pants (see all)
- Half Revealing, and Half Concealing the Soul: Barrett Warner Interviews Cassie Pruyn - October 25, 2017
- This Thing Called Thunderclap Helped Me Reach 1 Million People About My Book (Not Really, But Kind Of) - April 25, 2017
- 5 Poems by Michael Glaviano - February 6, 2017